Aspiring filmmakers learn and practice the craft of filmmaking through topics such as game design & YouTube production in camp environment
- Expires Aug 31, 2012
- Limit 1 per person, may buy 1 additional as a gift. Limit 1 per visit. Valid only for option purchased. Fee up to Groupon price may apply for cancellations. Classes must be booked by 8/31/12. HST not included for room and board. Must use promotional value in 1 visit. All classes must be used by the same person.
- See the rules that apply to all deals.
- $249 for the weeklong Youth or Adult Media Intensive Program (a $565 value)
- $399 for the weeklong Youth or Adult Media Intensive Program with room and board included (an $860 value)
- $99 for the weekend Professional Development Program on the weekend of October 19–October 21 (a $225 value)
- $169 for the weekend Professional Development Program with room and board on the weekend of October 19–October 21 (a $340 value)
The Media Intensive Program gives aspiring filmmakers hands-on experience with professional equipment, and offers a variety of focuses for ages 10 and up in a spirited camp environment. Groups of three or four create a short-form video or animation, participating in all steps of the production process. The weekend Professional Development Program focuses on the filmmaking process rather than the product and is designed for teachers interested in filmmaking. Focuses include topics such as YouTube, dramatic video production, and game design, and participants also learn exercises in camera editing and non-linear editing.
Weeklong sessions run from late June to late September, with the first session running June 24–June 30, and the last running September 16–September 22. The weekend session is only available on the weekend of October 19–October 21. Registration is required by August 31.The Gulf Islands Film and T.V. School
The Gulf Islands Film and T.V. School (GIFTS) was founded by a group of Canadian filmmakers and entrepreneur George Harris with a mission to offer hands-on learning opportunities during digital film production intensives. GIFTS students learn by doing with the help of a faculty of award winning media professionals including Velcrow Ripper, Nettie Wild, and Peter Campbell. Select alumni also return to the school to act as mentors. Located on Galiano Island, the school seamlessly blends a rustic camp environment with cutting-edge digital technology, and courses focus on a variety of topics including documentary, visual effects, and acting on camera.